Tuesday, April 27, 2010

WCF QF Game 7 - Pick your favourite cliche

Well, it's Tuesday morning, I'm awake (and at work), and all I can think of is Game 7. As I type this there are still 12 and a half hours before the game starts. I'm pretty sure I will get nothing done today.

Since it is painfully obvious what is at stake today, I won't spend much time going over that. This is do or die time, backs against the wall, win or you're done, time to dig deep, no excuses, just results, give 110%, etc, etc.

I've been over this game again and again in my mind. There are keys to victory, but what? Then, a line from Gladiator came to mind, and it all made sense. So, without further ado, in movie quote form, here are the 3 keys to a Red Wing victory tonight:

"Win the crowd, and you will win your freedom." (Gladiator, 2000) - Now, I'm not talking about some cheesy Rocky IV moment where all the Coyote fans start chanting "Red Wings, Red Wings" at the end of the game. I don't expect Nicklas Lidstrom to give a speech at the end of the game about how we are all hockey fans together despite our differences. What I mean is that the Jobing.com arena is going to be rocking. Those unoriginal bandwagon fans are going to be wearing their stupid white and screaming their lungs out, and the best way to stop that shit is to score the way Chicagoans vote: early and often. They always talk about surviving the first 10 minutes of the game when you're on the road. In this case, the Wings not only need to survive, they need to score first and get the crowd out of it, just like Phoenix did in Game 6. If the Wings can get an early lead, especially a 2 or 3 goal lead, I think they will be in great shape. Speaking of Rocky:

"See that look in their eyes, Rock? You gotta get that look back, Rock. Eye of the tiger, man" (Rocky III, 1982) - In Game 1 the Red Wings were mercilessly hit at every opportunity by the Coyotes. The next 4 games saw the Red Wings be the aggressor, out-hitting the Dogs in every game. But Game 6 looked an awful lot like Game 1; the Coyotes went back to being very aggressive and fast, a combo that the Wings did not like. It's time to get back to Game 4 and 5 Red Wings. Justin Abdelkader has been great since he's been inserted in the lineup, but it's time for guys like Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall and Brad Stuart to start playing with some intensity. I want to see someone get Kronwalled. I want Franzen to remember that he's 6'3" and play like it. I want to see blood, sweat and tears, all on the Phoenix bench as they realize they are no match for a determined, hungry, and angry Red Wing team.

"Stupid Isotopes. Hurry up and lose so we can get outta here!" (The Simpsons, 1999) - I am a Simpsons freak. I think they are hilarious, and they can teach you a lot of lessons about life. This quote is to the Red Wings. IF (and that's a big if) you are going to lose, please, please, please do not go to OT. I can not take a Game 7 OT in the first round. My family has a history of heart problems, and while I am relatively healthy, I fear that my heart and sanity would be broken by an OT tonight, especially if it's a loss. So, for the love of all things that are holy and good in this world, just kick the living shit of the Yotes 10-0 so that there is no stress and we can start worrying about matching up with the Sharks. Plus, I'm really trying to control my anger issues during the games, and a loss tonight will not help.

So that's it. There's not a lot to be said. Tonight is going to be insane. Game 7s are awesome, but only if your team is not involved (I'm really looking forward to Capitals-Canadiens tomorrow night). I will be on my spot on the couch with my lucky shirt on rooting like crazy. Let's hope that we have 2 more weeks of late nights and stress ahead of us. Otherwise it's going to be a long summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment