Thursday, April 29, 2010

Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!! Game 1 - Red Wings vs Sharks

Well, now that Round 1 is over and its on to Round 2, time to look ahead to our next victim, uh, I mean, opponent, the San Jose Sharks. I am not going to do a full series preview because Casey over at Winging It In Motown will probably put anything I do to shame. So why bother? I mean, I am at work and supposed to be getting stuff done. I just can't get the game tonight out of my head.

I look at this series and think: this means way more to the Sharks than it does to us. This is their Waterloo, their Battle of Gettysburg, their Vimy Ridge (there's a little Canadian history for you). For us, this is simply one more team to get past on the way to the Promised Land. If we lose this series, it will be tough to take, but not the end of the world. For them, this is their chance to show their fans and the rest of the NHL that they are for real. No pressure. So, instead of the entire series, let's break down Game 1:

What's At Stake: This one is pretty easy. It's Game 1, so it's a chance to make an early statement in this series. For the Wings, being the road team, again it's just about getting a split. But, unlike last series, it's more important for the Wings to get the first one here. If the Sharks win this one, it will give them some momentum heading into Game 2. Winning Game 1 will cause all the doubts about the Sharks to enter their minds, and with 2 days between Game 1 and 2, those thoughts will fester.

Player who scares the bejeebus out of me: Patrick Marleau. This guy can run hot and cold, but when he's hot, he's scary. He's scored 30 goals in 4 of the last 5 seasons, so you know he can put the puck in the net. If he gets going, the Wings will be in some trouble, because their second line is playing lights-out right now.

Who's our Bitch? Evgeni Nabokov. This guy, like most of the players on the Sharks, does not exactly have a stellar playoff reputation. He looked decent against the Avs, but come on - it was the Avs. They were the worst team out of all 8 teams in the West, and they didn't beat them by much. We just faced a Vezina finalist and made him look silly; there's no reason to believe that they can't put a lot of pressure on Nabby and score some softies. He only faced 149 shots in the last series - I expect the Wings to get that many by the end of Game 4. He better get used to Holmstrom's ass in his face the whole series.

There Goes My Hero: Johan Franzen. Yes, I know he had points in every game in Round 1. But was he really that effective? Most people would say no. He stayed on the edges too much, not daring to go to the net or use his big body. We want Playoff Mule. We need Playoff Mule. As the Phoenix series went on, I thought he got better. But he is nowhere near where he needs to be. Time to step it up, and I predict big things from him. Maybe not "8-goals-in-4-games" big, but pretty special.

Favourite Quote from the Enemy: From Fear the Fin

After having to deal with obnoxious Wings fans down here for the past two weeks I didn’t think my hatred for a team I’ve grown up hating in San Jose. We don’t need a reminder as to why we hate Detroit fans, but they remind you anyways. Exponentially. They invade. They taunt. They tell you that they are more righteous hockey fans. They disrespect the National Anthem. They pick on solo targets, while clumped together in packs of 3 or 4 drunkards. They play the martyr when you stick up for yourself.

If being a Sharks fan is wrong, I do not want to be right. I had to be the nice guy, as an ambassador to FFH. Here, I do not. And here, my passion is only outmatched by the fury that is coarsing through my veins, fueling my desire for not only victory, but pain. I want Detroit to be embarassed. I want them to go home with their tails tucked between their legs, knowing that San Jose will not stand for their narcssitic
attitudes.

That being said, San Jose will win this series if they keep their feet moving in the defensive zone, and physically thrashing an already tiring Detroit team. The biggest mistake Phoenix made against Detroit was sitting back, and giving Detroit time to control the puck. Bodies must be sacrificed, emotionless and often. Playing in Detroit also presents challenges, as the crowd screams “OOOOOH” any time one of their beloved players gets so much as touched, as if the ref will call a penalty for sneezing. Detroit can run people after whistles, punch people in the face, and all but get away with murder. San Jose will not be allowed this luxury. And guess what? They don’t
need it. They have rest, and they have energy. Detroit can be outhustled. Detroit can be outmuscled. And Detroit can be beaten.




I love it. I love that other fans get worked up over us. Hey, fans of the rest of the NHL: you want to know why we are like this? Our team is fucking awesome. We have won more of everything in the last 15 years than any other franchise in hockey. We can punch people in the face after the whistle? We can run people after the whistle? I swore that Phoenix had more PPs in Game 7 than the Wings did. Maybe I watched the wrong game. If anything, the refs are out to GET US, not help us. This is evidenced by this series starting on Thursday, while the Canucks and Little Brother get to wait until Saturday. But, since none of our players bend over for Bettman (I'm looking in your direction, 20 Cent), we don't get that luxury. Detroit can be beaten? I don't dispute that. But after Game 7, I refuse to believe they can be outhustled, and every team since 1995 has tried to outmuscle them, and look how that worked. All the Sharks are going to do is make themselves tired running after the Wings, and then the Wings skill players will take over.

Prediction for tonight: The Wings are hot (pun intended) and will ride the momentum from Game 7. The Sharks have a history of starting series off slow, and tonight will be no different. By the time the Sharks get their legs under them, the Wings will have built a nice 2-3 goal lead, and they will end up winning 4-2.

"I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!" - Jaws, 1975 - Let's go sharkin', boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment