Thursday, April 22, 2010

A blog? Why?

Good question. I'm still wondering why I would bother to start a blog. I recently discovered the Red Wing blogosphere and saw some exceptional writing by other fans. I've also read my sister's boyfriend's blog
The Disabled List
often, except he's got too much basketball in there and not enough hockey (psst, Mike - you are a Red Wing fan - more Red Wing posts, please). Maybe it was because I'd rather do anything except work while actually at work. Maybe it's because for most of the season, my wife does not care what Nicklas Lidstrom's +/- is or how many takeaways Pavel Datsyuk had in the last game against the Lightning. Mostly, it's because I bleed red and white (literally and figuratively) and want to share that passion with other fans.

So, after reading all of these other blogs, I thought to myself "Why not bring my complete lack of writing ability and unoriginal thoughts and share them with people who have the exact same ideas?" I read these other blogs and see some really intelligent people with some great thoughts on the Wings. Every blog seems to have its "niche"; some are more insightful, some are more news-like, and some are just hilarious. My goal is to steal the best parts of each of these blogs, subtly tweak them so no one knows they are stolen, and come up with something that doesn't put people to sleep. I will call it the "Chicago Blackhawks" method.

What can you expect from this? Hard to say, really. I imagine I will develop a style that works for me as I go. I have Center Ice, so I do get to see every game the Wings play (when my wife lets me, that is). So I will probably do previews and recaps of the games, give my thoughts on what's going on with the Wings, and occasionally put out something that is of interest to me but not necessarily Wings-related. Oh, and there will be swearing (sorry, Mom). I have 2 kids, and one of them repeats everything we say. Like when I was watching the Wings-Flames in March, and the Flames scored to take the lead. Naturally, I was not happy with that turn of events, and uttered my signature "Damn it". This was immediately met with a "Damn it, Daddy" from my 2 year old. Now don't get me wrong - I want her to be upset when the Wings are scored on, and she used the phrase correctly and in context. But I'd like to see her not swear until she is about 5. So, I need to get my swearing out somewhere, and what better way than on the internet.

That's it for now. Hope you enjoy my stuff. If you have any thoughts on how I can improve this, or if you like my stuff, shoot me an email or find me on Twitter (that's right, I'm on Twitter). If you don't like my stuff, keep coming back because I hope to get better at this. Or, you can go fuck yourself and get lost. Your choice.

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment